August 22, 2003

BCAA offers answers to home insurance policyholders affected by forest fires

(Burnaby, BC): Fires burning throughout the province, and most recently threatening the city of Kelowna, have forced thousands of people out of their homes. As many residents leave their homes and belongings behind, or are faced with evacuation alerts, the British Columbia Automobile Association's (BCAA) Insurance Division has heard from several policyholders inquiring about their home insurance coverage.

BCAA offers the following answers to frequently asked questions made by policyholders:

       Am I covered for a loss resulting from a forest fire?

       Am I covered for mass evacuation?

       Am I covered for the belongings I take with me when I leave my home?

       Is smoke damage from the fires covered? Is damage incurred from fire retardant outside my home covered?

       I've been given the okay to return to my home, now what?

If you have insurance coverage with BCAA and need to file a claim, call the 24-hour emergency claims number at: 1-800-719-2224, or visit a local BCAA Sales Centre to speak to an insurance advisor. BCAA advises all homeowners with coverage from other providers to consult with their insurance advisor to ensure that they understand their policy coverage.